Initially, I was only going to upgrade the secondary injectors and retain the stock primaries. Planning out the fuel system required a good deal of thought and effort, and I eventually succumbed to upgrading the primaries as well. Namely, it didn’t feel right mixing new and 2-decade old technologies together.
I went with Full Function Engineering CNC’d and anodized rails with flow-matched Injector Dynamics 2000’s for the secondaries and Injector Dynamics 725’s for the primaries. This set up should be able to support past 500HP, although I won’t be pushing anywhere close to that. I was eventually able to amass this collection of goodies:
I bought more push lock fittings than necessary to have spares, and it’s a good thing I did, because 3 of them were sacrificed in the process of the install. I first measured out and cut the lengths out of a Fragola 8000 hose, but when I tried to push on the fittings, it just wasn’t happening. The tolerances between the Fragola hose and the Red Horse Performance fittings I had were slightly off, and that was enough to make it impossible. So I switched over to an Earl’s Super Stock fuel hose, and that was a good match – but still by no means easy.
I wasted enough effort with the first setup and it was getting late by the time I finally got one fitting installed. So the next morning, I decided to enlist the help of someone I thought would be better suited for the job. I wanted to hedge against uncertainty and make sure all the fittings would be pushed on all the way, there were no more second tries – supplies were dwindling. By the design of the push lock barbs, if you stop pushing while half-way on, it becomes very difficult to fully seat the hose.
To help further guarantee a successful outcome, I took all possible preparations: the fittings were left in the freezer to contract the metal, the barbs were lubricated with oil, and the hose was boiled in water to expand the rubber. Mr. Freshlove (check out his blog) made the job look like easy money.
Fuel lines complete. I used Oetiker stainless clamps over the barbs as added security.
Here’s a look at the fuel rails installed on the car. Impeccable machine work, everything fit together flawlessly.
And with the lines plumbed.
I’m maintaining the stock Series routing, but I chose to feed the secondary rail first to help with the transition to the big 2000cc injectors. The factory setup feeds the primary first and then the secondary. I didn’t feel that it was necessary to add in clutter and run a Parallel setup (where both the secondary and primary rails are fed simultaneously via a Y-block).
I’ll need to finish it off by hooking up the Fuel Pressure Regulator, but I will get to that when the UIM goes back on.